Feels Like I'm Walking on Broken Glass!

Feels Like I'm Walking on Broken Glass!
Walking on, walking on broken glass!

Friday, December 10, 2010

A great shopping day?

Now there's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one! A "good foot day" is unusual; that's certain. But a good foot day shopping? Unheard of. But it's exciting news - even for a foot blog! Yesterday I had the best foot day I've had in a very long time. And I have no idea why. You know, having absense of pain shouldn't be a noticeable event. Unless, of course, you've become so used to the pain that being without it is an exceptional and unusual moment! I felt as though there should be a huge, flashing neon sign glaring from my shoes making a declaration of "freedom."  The pain-free block of time was indeed welcome but unexpexted and almost confusing. Since I have no idea what brought on the good day, how could I ensure a repeat performance?
All I know is that I went Christmas shopping for a few hours. On my normal foot pain clock, that's equal to about a week - barefooted and trodding directly on my avenue of broken glass! But it wasn't until I was loading packages into the back of my SUV that it finally occurred to me. What's wrong with this picture? Where is the pain? Why aren't my feet hurting? I sat in my car contemplating my good fortune, all the while trying to figure out "why?" But why should "why" matter? I urged myself to simply enjoy it. I had more shopping to do but I clearly didn't expect to do it on this particular day.
But I headed for my next shopping venue almost as if I were used to store-hopping at will. Granted, I parked very near the entrance of each store. I went in and took care of business and was quickly on my way again. I wasn't about to take my pain-free moments for granted and wanted to get in all the shopping I could before the inevitable returned. Each time I reached my car, I smiled, reaffirming the fact that I was actually out Christmas shopping without foot pain. What a beautiful day! 
I don't understand what caused it, but I'm here to tell you that I thoroughly, albeit somewhat apprehensively, enjoyed it. There for just a few hours, I stole a glimpse of what my life should be like. I didn't push the envelope by going for a nice walk or even cranking up the music and dancing in my living room - although I honestly felt like it!  But I didn't want to irritate the nerves and perhaps bring on a new wave of pain that may be worse than a normal day. So I simply enjoyed it.
A shopping day free of foot pain! What a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment